Assistant Professor of Economics
Ian McCarthy, Assistant Professor of Economics at Emory University, received his PhD in economics from Indiana University in 2008 and joined Emory University in 2014. Before coming to Emory, Professor McCarthy was a director in the Economic Consulting practice of FTI Consulting in Dallas, Texas, and the director of health economics for the Baylor Health Care System (now Baylor Scott and White Health).
Professor McCarthy’s research interests are in the fields of health economics, industrial organization, and econometrics. His primary research concerns the relationship between hospitals and physicians, and how this relationship may influence hospital production, pricing, and market power. Professor McCarthy also studies several aspects related to the Medicare Advantage market. For example, he and co-author Michael Darden recently published two papers concerning the effects of quality disclosure on consumer and firm behavior in Medicare Advantage. In ongoing work, he and co-author Haizhen Lin examine the influence of multi-market contact and the presence of mutual forbearance on premiums, quality, and competitiveness of the Medicare Advantage market.
Professor McCarthy’s research has appeared in several academic journals, including the Journal of Health Economics, Journal of Human Resources, Health Economics, American Journal of Health Economics, and American Journal of Agricultural Economics. He has also served as the principal investigator (PI) or co-investigator on numerous grant-funded projects. He is currently the PI on a three-year K99/R00 grant from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) to examine the role of physician-hospital networks on the measurement and evaluation of competition in healthcare provider markets. He is also a co-investigator with Mehul Raval (PI) on a four-year R01 grant from AHRQ to examine the price and quality differential between children’s and non-children’s hospitals.
Past Faculty Spotlights:
- Len Carlson, originally published July 7, 2016
- Kaiji Chen, originally published March 10, 2016
- Christina DePasquale, originally published February 27, 2017
- Andrew Francis-Tan, originally published April 15, 2015
- David Jacho-Chavez, originally published October 6, 2015
- Junghoon Lee, originally published November 22, 2016
- Esfandiar Maasoumi, originally published March 26, 2014
- Sara Markowitz, originally published January 22, 2015
- Hugo Mialon, originally published June 25, 2014
- Sue Mialon, originally published December 18, 2015
- Paul Rubin, originally published November 25, 2013
- Juan Rubio-Ramirez, originally published August 26, 2015
- Vivian Yue, originally published July 13,2015
- Tao Zha, originally published January 13, 2014